Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So I've realized some people are truly unable to bear love..

So a while ago I had a few chats with some gents that claimed there are men (more so than women) who are perfectly happy not feeling love for another human being. They feel self sufficient, are not close to family, feel no love for friends or significant others. I found this hard to believe but over time slowly accepted the ideologies of these men in that there are some which cannot possibly feel anything for another human being and live at peace this way and forever. I met a few and let me tell you its an incredibly sad thing for me, as I cannot be this way, but its highly intriguing. My only advice is to avoid getting close to these types of people since any attachment you may form will be one-sided. Speaking to these guys who helped me understand this illuminated me a lot on the subject and I thank them all for it, they were very polite and not bitter as you would expect, just apathetic towards the rest of humanity. Interesting.
Here is an excerpt from the book "White Teeth" by Zadie Smith, which discusses it in the following manner...

"What made us think that anyone who fails to love us is damaged, lacking, malfunctioning in some way? And particularly if they replace us with god, or a weeping madonna, or the face of Christ in a ciabatta roll-- then we call them crazy. Deluded. Regressive. We are so convinced of the goodness of ourselves, and the goodness of our love, we cannot bear to believe that there might be something more worthy of love than us, more worthy of worship. Greeting cards routinely tell us everybody deserves love. No. Everybody deserves clean water. Not everybody deserves love all the time." - Zadie Smith (awesome author by the way)

No comments:

Post a Comment